SEANC's legislative priorities are determined by you, the members, at district meetings and the annual convention. Convention delegates rank the association's policy platform objectives each year.
SEANC's 2012-2013 Top 10 Policy Platform Objectives
(as determined by the 2012 Convention)
- Request the General Assembly fully fund employee salary compensation prior to considering other appropriations.
- SEANC will oppose legislation that would remove employees from the protections of the State Personnel Act.
- SEANC supports continuation of a defined benefit retirement plan for current and future retirees.
- SEANC will oppose privatization and downsizing of state government services.
- Seek legislation allowing SEANC full access to public workplaces for the purposes of member recruitment without employee intimidation or enforced limits to SEANC information, personnel and volunteers.
- SEANC will seek legislation for comprehensive short and long-term disability programs for all state employees.
- SEANC endorses the repeal of G.S. § 95-98 and supports the enactment of legislation to govern collective bargaining by North Carolina public employees; further, SEANC will seek to amend G.S § 143-3.3(g) and G.S.§135-18.8 to delete language that voids dues deduction from payroll or from a retirement benefit if an employees' or retirees' association engages in collective bargaining.
- Seek policy to require the State Health Plan to notify members at least 60 days in advance of any plan benefit changes.
- Seek restoration of the employer's contribution to the retirement system that will at least match the employee's contribution.
- Seek continuation of a fully paid individual health care benefit for all qualified active and retired employees.